Indiana Fever (7-12) at Phoenix Mercury (11-8)
Date: Wednesday, July 19, 2017
Time: 3:30 p.m. (EDT)
Site: Talking Stick Resort Arena (Phoenix, AZ)
Live Stream: Twitter, WNBA League Pass
Fever: F- Marissa Coleman, F- Candice Dupree, C- Natalie Achonwa, G- Erica Wheeler, G- Briann January
Mercury: F- Stephanie Talbot, F- Camille Little, C- Angel Robinson, G- Monique Currie, G- Danielle Robinson
The Indiana Fever look to earn a victory against the Phoenix Mercury in their final showdown of the season, Wednesday afternoon. The Fever are in the midst of a four-game Western Conference road swing.
A June contest against the Mercury at Bankers Life Fieldhouse was the Fever’s only overtime game this season. Erica Wheeler scored a career-high 24 points in the 98-90 loss, and former Mercury player Candice Dupree added 23. It was the first game since 2014 that the Fever had two players score 20 or more points in the same game.
The Fever hope to salvage a win against Phoenix after losing twice to the Mercury in 2017. Indiana absorbed an 85-62 loss at Talking Stick Resort Arena on May 17.
Storylines & Promotion
• Wednesday’s game is the first of two consecutive days the Fever will play live on Twitter. An afternoon date with the Mercury is followed by Thursday’s night game at San Antonio. Catch all the action live at wnba.twitter.com.
• The Fever lost to the Los Angeles Sparks on Monday, 80-62. Briann January led the Fever with 12 points, and both Candice Dupree and Erica Wheeler added 11 points.
• Rookie Erica McCall scored a career-high eight points against the Sparks, with a 4-of-7 shooting performance.
• Natalie Achonwa has started the past two games for the Fever and she is averaging 6.5 rebounds over the span, which would lead the team if it were her season average.
• Playing without Brittney Griner and Diana Taurasi, the Mercury led at halftime but ultimately fell to the Minnesota Lynx, 81-66, last Sunday. Yvonne Turner led the team with a career-high 18 points off the bench. Monique Currie finished with 13 points and Danielle Robinson added 10.
• When Indiana shoots well, it does well: the Fever are 4-0 this season when they record a higher field goal percentage than their opponent.
• Marissa Coleman is 23 points shy of 2,000 in her WNBA career. She currently has 1,977.
• Dupree spent the past seven seasons playing for the Mercury. She won a WNBA title with Phoenix in 2014. She was acquired in a trade this past February.
• The Fever are 20-14 against the Mercury all-time, though Phoenix is 2-0 this year. The Fever hold a winning record in Phoenix, with a 9-7 mark at Talking Stick Resort Arena.
• Brittney Griner, the league’’’s leading scorer, is out for several weeks with a bone bruise in her left knee and a right ankle sprain. Diana Taurasi did not travel with the Mercury to Minnesota for undisclosed reasons.