New York Liberty (8-18) at Indiana Fever (9-17)
Date: Tuesday, August 20th
Time: 7:00 p.m. (ET)
Site: Bankers Life Fieldhouse
Live Stream: MyINDY-TV 23 and WNBA League Pass
The Indiana Fever battle the New York Liberty for the first time since the season’s opening week, hoping to secure a tiebreak advantage in a matchup of teams battling for playoff contention. Indiana fell to 9-17 during a 107-68 loss at Washington last Sunday. New York dropped to 8-18 following a 78-72 defeat at Phoenix.
Indiana has won three of five games since the All-Star Break and hopes for a fourth consecutive home win for the first time since 2015.
Tiffany Mitchell scored 17 points to pace the Fever at Washington, and Teaira McCowan registered her sixth double-double with 14 points and 10 rebounds off the bench. Veteran star Tina Charles paced the Liberty in their loss to the Mercury, scoring 23 points with 13 rebounds.
Fever: F – Betnijah Laney, F – Candice Dupree, C – Teaira McCowan or Natalie Achonwa, G – Tiffany Mitchell, G – Erica Wheeler
Liberty: F –Kia Nurse, F –Rebeccah Allen, C –Tina Charles , G –Bria Hartley, G –Tanisha Wright
- Indiana got past the Liberty with a pair of wins in the season’s opening week, getting past New York 81-80 on opening night in Westchester, and 92-77 at Bankers Life Fieldhouse on June 1.
- Erica Wheeler enters Tuesday’s contest just four assists behind Tamika Catchings as the Fever’s record-holder for a single season (143 in 2005). Wheeler (139) needs five assists to break the record.
- Candice Dupree is officially listed as questionable for Tuesday’s game following a strain to her left middle finger at Washington. She played seven minutes to open the game and sustained the injury just before the first-quarter buzzer. X-rays were negative, but she did not return to the game.
- The Fever’s 9-17 mark through 26 games is currently six games better than their 3-23 mark a year ago.
- The Fever will exceed their 2018 win total with every victory the rest of this season.
- With five home wins and four road wins, the Fever have exceeded and matched their home and road totals from 2018, also.
- To coincide with the WNBA’s Breast Health Awareness Week, the Fever will wear their pink-themed uniforms again on Tuesday. Indiana beat Atlanta 87-82 in its Breast Health Awareness Game on Aug. 10. It marks the first time the Fever have ever worn their pink-themed jerseys twice in the same season.