Atlanta Dream (5-15) at Indiana Fever (6-15)
Date: Wednesday, July 31st
Time: 7:00 p.m. (ET)
Site: Bankers Life Fieldhouse
Live Stream: CBS Sports Network
The Indiana Fever return from the All-Star break with a home contest against the Atlanta Dream on Wednesday. Indiana is 6-15 after a 95-77 loss in Phoenix to the Mercury on July 23. The Dream’s 78-66 defeat to the Los Angeles Sparks on July 23 put their record at 5-15.
Erica Wheeler led the Fever with 18 points and recorded a game-high nine assists in the loss to Phoenix. Tiffany Mitchell (15 points), Teaira McCowan (14 points) and Candice Dupree (12 points) all finished with at least 12 points. Monique Billings posted a team-high 16 points off the bench for Atlanta. Atlanta picked up an 88-78 victory on June 19 in the previous meeting between the teams.
Fever: F – Betnijah Laney, F – Candice Dupree, C – Teaira McCowan or Natalie Achonwa, G – Tiffany Mitchell, G – Erica Wheeler
Dream: F –Brittney Sykes, F –Jessica Breland, C –Elizabeth Williams, G –Tiffany Hayes, G –Renee Montgomery
- Erica Wheeler hit seven 3-pointers and led all scorers with 25 points in the WNBA All-Star game on Saturday. Wheeler became the first undrafted player in league history to be named MVP of the All-Star game.
- Wheeler is the only player in the WNBA averaging at least 10 points and five assists while shooting over 40 percent from beyond the arc. Her 5.8 assists per game are tied for second in the WNBA.
- Candice Dupree lead Indiana with 19 points in its first matchup with Atlanta. The Dream got a season-high 28 points on 9-of-15 shooting from Tiffany Hayes.
- In the loss to Phoenix, Natalie Achonwa (3-of-5) shot at least 60 percent from the field for the sixth time this season. Achonwa (55.0) is second in the WNBA among qualified players in field goal percentage.
- Teaira McCowan pulled down at least seven rebounds for the 11th time in the past 13 games. McCowan is averaging 9.1 rebounds per game over her past 10 contests.
- Tiffany Mitchell played a season-high 37 minutes and scored 15 points. Mitchell was a perfect 3-of-3 from deep and made more than two 3-pointers for the first time this season.
- Erica Wheeler (18 points) paced Indiana in scoring for the third game in a row. Wheeler is averaging 16.3 points and 7.7 assists over her last three contests.
- Candice Dupree (520) is two field goals away from passing Shavonte Zellous (521) for sixth in Fever history. Dupree is also 45 field goals away from passing Tina Thompson for second in WNBA history.
- Erica Wheeler (496) needs four assists to reach 500 in a Fever uniform. She would be the third player in franchise history to do so.
- With a victory against the Dream, the Fever would surpass their overall and home win totals from last season.